Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's Been Quite a Ride

As the saying goes, “all good things must come to an end.”  I have never found that saying more true than I do right now. As I sit here typing my final blog in Barcelona I am overcome by so many different emotions; I’m not sure if I want to laugh or cry, but I do know that I am so happy; so happy for so many different reasons. I am so happy that I get to see my family in one day. I am so happy I have had the opportunity to live and work in Barcelona for two months. I am so happy I have met so many wonderful people. I am so happy that I have gotten to learn so many new & different things.  I am so happy that I took a chance, jumped without looking, stepped outside of my comfort zone, and, in return, learned so much about myself.

Two months ago today I was packing my bags, more like stuffing them, saying my final goodbyes, and running last minute errands to pick up extra toothpaste and sunscreen. Although it sounds cliché to say, I am no longer that girl that rushed from store to store, worried about how many pairs of socks I should bring, or how I was ever going to stay in contact with everyone. Living on my own in a new country has shaped me into a much calmer, happier, and independent person who truly sees the beauty of the world and the people who live in it. Two months here has brought more change than any one event in my 20 years, and for that, Barcelona, I will forever be grateful.

I have truly fallen in love with this city, the people, the food, music, and culture. It has swept me off my feet, and I feel blessed to have called it home for two short months. Sure we’ve had our differences including the lack of free refills, not having the best internet connection, a less than user-friendly transportation system, and an abundance of pigeons, or rats with wings as I’ve heard them called, but all-in-all I would never change this experience for anything. I would relive all of the tears, laughter, frustration, joy, and homesickness because this beautiful city by the sea has won my heart. I hope that someday I can bring my kids here and show them where I lived for two months, discovering the world and myself.

Thank you to everyone who has been reading my blog throughout this adventure. Your kind words truly inspired me and reminded me how blessed I am to be surrounded by such amazing people.

Paz y Amor,
Kate