Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Trains, Hostels, Boy Bands, and Best Friends

What could be better than living in Spain for 2 months? Seeing your best friend while you’re there, of course! My friend Erin is doing a 4-week study abroad/immersion experience in Segovia, Spain, a little west of Barcelona. So, last weekend I packed my bags and took the train to Segovia. Just traveling was an experience in and of itself. I took the AVE, a high-speed train, to Madrid, and then took another train north to Segovia.  I’m obsessed with the AVE and propose we build one ASAP in the states. It is such an easy, comfortable way to travel! There were only two “glitches” during the journey, one being I ran over a guy’s toe with my suitcase in Segovia, oops. The other was that while waiting for my connecting train to Segovia, no platform was posted until ONE MINUTE before we were supposed to leave. Needless to say I about had a panic attack!—Still working on this whole go-with-the-flow-you’re-living-in-Spain thing...it’s a work in progress.

Two hours later I was in Segovia, and let me just say it is everything and more that you would expect of a small town in Spain. Its rich history is evident the moment you step off the train. The smells, people, shops, and streets all permeate this history and culture in a way that can only be imagined. I kept thinking, “do people really live here?”

Thanks to Erin’s directions I found the hostel with no problems. For simply googling “hostels in Segovia” and choosing the first one, we did pretty well! It was not completely up to my standards (i.e. room service, elevator, my own bathroom), but it did the trick! Once settled we had a lot of catching up to do, a lot happens in 2 months, especially when you’re in different countries! That night was the Festivals of Segovia (who knew?!?) so of course we took part. Everything from Cirque de Solei performers to a boy band concert (think Backstreet Boys) to ending the night at the discoteca...the night could not have been any more perfect!

The next morning was a little rough (I can’t imagine why), but we grabbed some coffee and went sight-seeing. Segovia has a little tourist bus so we bought tickets and got to see all of Segovia and learn all about its rich history in just under an hour, my kind of tour! That night we went out with the UD group that Erin is with for her study abroad program. Nothing like a group of loud, American, UD students to turn heads! We got lots of shouts and whistles; I think they knew we weren’t from around there. We didn’t get home until 4 am both nights, and we were one of the first to leave—those Spaniards sure know how to party!
Again, Sunday morning was a little rough...don’t even think to ask for extended check-out, this isn’t the Marriot people! Although well intentioned, we didn’t make it to church (sorry mom), but walked around the town a little bit before I had to leave.
Overall, I could not have asked for a better weekend, I’m still worn out! My Uncle Jimmy and his family are in Barcelona now so I’m going to meet them soon. I’m so excited to have some visitors!
Only 3 weeks left, and lots to pack in...whoever said 2 months was a long time was lying! You all still have a chance to come see me, pack your bags and get on the next flight, I’ll waive the tour guide fee!

Peace & Love,
Kate