Sunday, June 19, 2011

You Learn As You Go

Four weeks ago today I landed in Barcelona, scared out of my mind, and wondering if this was really the best idea, to leave home and live alone for 2 months in a new place. I can say today that yes, it was the absolute best idea.

 It is unbelievable what a difference four weeks can make. The last four weeks have brought so many new discoveries, experiences, friends, and foods. I have gotten the chance to explore the world and myself, and for that I feel blessed.

My time here has been a whirlwind. I've gone to the zoo, walked in the park, translated at a major business conference, swam in the Balearic Sea, figured out how to travel in Spain (believe me, it's not easy!), toured the city (from la Sagrada Familia to Gaudi, and everything in between), tried new food, spoken lots of Spanish, read 2 1/2 books, learned phrases in Catalan (menjar=to eat), figured out how to go different places on the subway, drank cheap wine, laughed (a lot), gone to Spanish mass, learned to cook, taken lots of picture, and people-watched. I never knew it was possible to grow and adapt so much in such a short amount of time.

Speaking of people-watching, I've become a pro. Here's a little list of some things I've noticed during my month in this wonderful city:

1. Spaniards don't like to form lines (my first taste of this was at mass during communion, everyone just went up when they felt like it, a little unnerving for a girl who is all about lines and organization).
2. Bananas are green here, even when they are ripe.
3. Read labels carefully--ham flavored chips are disgusting (this is coming from the girl who will eat anything)
4. Spanairds are very passionate people---talk about PDA!
5. Coke light is not the same as Diet Coke, I plan on getting a diet coke the minute I land in Atlanta!
6. They're stingy on the ice here.
7. If you want a coffee that takes more than one sip to finish, order Cafe Americano.
8. It is easy to pick out the Americans--don't ask me how, just trust me.
9. All beaches are top-optional here, don't think I'll ever get used to that.
10. Even though the Euro looks like Monopoly money, it is real.
11. The first thing they ask you when they find out if you are American is if you voted for Obama.
12. Whoever said Europeans are ahead of us in style was wrong, people are still rockin' the mullet here.
13. Everyone smokes here, including around babies, gross!
14. Life is slower here, & people cherish the time they spend with friends and family...they aren't as worried about work and making lots of money.
15. Catalan is a beautiful language with a mixture of Spanish and French, I would love to speak it, but for now I'm sticking to Spanish.
16. All the cars here are manual.
17. Traffic is ridiculous, and motos can drive between cars!
18. Eating is a sport here, and I am a more than willing participant

This experience is teaching me so much about myself, other people, and the world as a whole. It is an experience that I wish everyone could experience at least once in their lifetime, what a blessing.

Peace & Love,
Kate