Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Living Young, and wild, and free

So it's been a while, which I feel is how I start every post on here, but I promise I'll get better! Some things have changed since my last post, most notably my location. I'M IN BARCELONA! It's been just over a week since I got here and I'm already loving it! It has been a tough transition and I miss my family and friends a lot, but it's an experience that I already know I will never forget!

The past week or so has been all about getting settled. I was lucky enough to have my beautiful mama here for the first few days to help me with the transition (most notably finding the closest Starbucks to my apartment). I'm so happy that she was able to experience a bit of this with me! Unfortunately she had to head back to the States last Thursday, saying a tearful goodbye, but that will only make seeing her in July that much sweeter!

Since mom left I've been trying to stay busy to keep my mind off of being homesick. Friday night my wonderful host family made a traditional Spanish dinner for me filled with lots of seafood. Yum! Saturday I went sightseeing, going to to the FCB (Barcelona's soccer team) Stadium and to a pretty park nearby. Later that night was the European Cup game between Barcelona and Manchester United which I watched with my excited host family. Barcelona won!! The excitement filled the streets and you could here horns blaring and people celebrating long after the final goal. Sunday my host family took me to the stadium again to celebrate the big win. It was so exciting to see such enthusiasm and pride for one's hometown team! Overall it was an exciting first weekend in Barcelona!

Monday marked the beginning of my second week at work. So far I am loving getting to know the company, its products and its costumers. It makes me happy that I have chosen to study PR and Marketing because it does truly interest me. My boss is also the Vice-President of the Barcelona Soccer Club so Thursday I get to go to a conference with him to assist him in translating. The conference is in English, and although my boss speaks English very well, I will be there to help him if he does not understand a question that is asked or needs clarification. A little nerve-racking, but I am excited to step up to the plate!

It's only been a week, but already I feel that I have made the best decision for me at this time in my life. Although it is so difficult to be away from my friends and family, I know that this is something that I will remember for the rest of my life! God has blessed me so much, and it is time to use those gifts and show the world who I am!

"Make something beautiful of your life"--Abraham Verghese ("Cutting for Stone")

Peace & Love,
Kate