Thursday, November 18, 2010

Girls Rule, Boys Drool

I was listening to Taylor Swift, furthering my state of utter depression over my lack of a love life (you think I'm kidding) when it hit me. Okay, so it wasn't that bad, but still T.Swift has a way with words, even if she can't sing live to save her life.

There's one song that really stood out to me, "Mean." It's basically an ode to all those mean girls out there who find happiness by making others feel inferior. It made me wonder, why do we, as girls, allow others to define who we are? Why does what one jealous person says or thinks have the ability to make us question who we are as a person?

Why do girls, and women, feel the need to tear other girls down? Isn't it like they say in High School Musical, "We're All in This Together"? Our similarities far out-weigh our differences and we need to embrace each other rather than tear one another down. If we came together as women and appreciated ourselves more instead of finding any reason to call the other a "bitch," maybe we really could rule the world (let's face it, men will never rule, sorry guys).

Be the person that you want to be. Don't let what others say or think of you define where you choose to go in life. Make your own definition, you may have to revise it a few times, but that's life. It's okay to make a few mistakes, get messy and change directions along the way. The journey is the exciting part, and if you're not happy with who you are, it'll all be for nothing.

I know it's easier said than done, but know that I'm right there with you...fighting to define myself. I'm done letting others tell me who I should be; I'm in charge from now on and it's going to stay that way. It's not going to be easy, if it was then everyone would be doing it.

As T.Swift so eloquently put it, "Someday I'll be livin' in a big ole' city, and all you're every going to be is mean."

Peace & Love,
Kate